[Buddha-l] Reïncarnation is a memoryproblem

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 13 07:06:09 MDT 2007

curt schreef:
> This is obviously a highly flawed study, but the article does not
> provide enough detail to tell just how badly flawed it is.
>
> As has already been pointed out, "lost memories" that are "retrieved"
> under hypnosis have been  known to be suspect for quite some time. In
> fact, there's no particular reason why such "memories" should have
> ever been seen as reliable in the first place.
>
> To conflate the well known phenomenon of "false memories" with "belief
> in reincarnation" is bad science. The people who did this study, and
> anyone who gives it any credence, are themselves revealing either a
> shocking level of credulity, or a complete lack of intellectual
> honesty - or both.
> \
It's not that bad. I just read the article. It's meant as a
counterargument to an argument in favour of rebirth: the vivid memories
some people have and the feeling that they really experienced what they
remember. The experiment shows that you can introduce these kind of
memories into people during hypnosis and that those people will consider
those false memories as real memories of a past life. Those people tend
to mix their memories and phantasy in general. As Lance wrote: this
doesn't mean that all memories of past lives are flawed. Next step will
be to find persons who make no mistake in allocating their memories, but
still have memories of past lives.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950