[Buddha-l] Truth

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Mon Jun 11 23:29:49 MDT 2007

Piya Tan wrote:

>i don't think the Buddha ever said that, not in those words.
>
>Probably a quip by some Vague Buddhist.

"Anything, Maitreya, that is well said, is a word of Buddha. And any one [sic] who shall reject such utterances and say, 'They are not spoken by Buddha,' and produce disrespect towards them; such a hateful person does..."

Sorry for the cliffhanger, but I am not a person blessed with a JSTOR subscription. The source of the quote can probably be found in the article Google stole the quote from:

Scripture as the Word of the Buddha
James P. McDermott
Numen, Vol. 31, No. 1 (Jul., 1984), pp. 22-39
doi:10.2307/3269888
This article consists of 18 page(s).