[Buddha-l] "Spiritual"

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Fri Jun 1 01:47:18 MDT 2007

Eric wrote,

>> I think most would agree that crossword puzzles and
>> chess problems are mental exercises.  Are they also
>> spiritual exercises?

>It will be quite a challenge to explain the subtle semiotic differences
>between 'spiritual' and 'mental'. ;-)

We will have to wait for the results of the high amplitude gamma wave EEG for crossword puzzles. If they somehow match those of generating compassion and other non-referential exercices, then I guess we can call them spiritual on a scientific basis. And coming to think of it, I think we should have first run a laboratory test on Zen swordsmanship to see whether it really qualifies as non-referentiel (purely a matter between a sword and a chopped off head), before writing books like Zen at war.

Joy