[Buddha-l] Pure Land

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at roadrunner.com
Wed Jul 11 11:55:16 MDT 2007

In one of my medieval philosophy seminars several decades ago, Ernest
Moody, the professor, explained that Emperor Constantine (a follower of
Mithrism) asked the Christian Bishops when Jesus was born, and they
replied "don't know."
So Constantine said that if they made Jesus' birthday December 25th, he
could worship Jesus and Mithra on the same day.
I also learned that it was the same Emperor Constantine who moved the
sabbath day from Saturday (7th day) to SunDay (Mithra was also Sol
Invictus, the sun god, so Sunday was Mithra's day).
I do believe that I heard the same story on one of the cable TV channel
specials on early Christianity.
I would be happy to know if these stories were true.
Bob
Dept. of Philosophy