[Buddha-l] Re: Can Buddhists quit smoking?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Jul 9 13:34:06 MDT 2007

On Monday 09 July 2007 12:00, curt wrote:

> Incense is a traditional "offering" - in fact the burning of incense
> probably has it's origin as a replacement for blood sacrifice. We could
> always go back to that, and then have a barbecue (outdoors) afterwards.

I think blood sacrifice is an excellent thing to do, if one can spare a pint
now and then. I schedule myself for about three donations a year. It's what I
do instead of burning incense.

> As Richard points out, the issue has more to do with trends in
> architecture than anything else. Perhaps what we should really be
> focusing on is the inherent alienation from nature involved in our
> "hermetically" sealed living (and worshiping) spaces.

You'll need to reeducate a populace that whimpers if the temperature goes over
68F or under 64F (that's 20C and 18C for those of you who prefer God's
measuring system, now used everywhere in the world except Liberia, Myanmar
and the United States. It's great to know the USA is keeping up with Liberia
and Myanmar, eh?) Our collective inability to tolerate the climates that
nature serves up have resulted in our living, working and worshiping in
tightly sealed houses, offices and churches in which nothing natural need
apply. I agree that it's disgusting and would add that this penchant for
avoiding minor discomforts at all costs will probably result in our
extinction as a species.

> Also, the sense of smell is (I read this somewhere on the internet -
> perhaps even wikipedia - so it must be true) the sense most closely
> associated with the emotions. Burning incense is a way of
> involving/appealing to the less analytical portions of our minds.

I don't see much point in appealing to the less analytic portions of our
mentalities. These days the non-analytic and irrational sides of our
mentalities are working overtime. But if one did view irrationality and
non-analyticity as a desideratum, then wearing perfume, burning incense and
farting in small elevators would probably be the right way to promote it.

As far as Buddhist uses of incense, I believe the custom of associating
perfuming (vaasanaa) with karma has a very long history. In the outfit to
which I belong, we chant a verse in Pali (or recite its translation in
English) while offering incense. The gist of the verse is that the sweet
aroma of the incense is symbolic of the effects of good karma, which spread
throughout the world. If one wanted to avoid burning incense, one might
substitute good behavior for joss sticks. One could then recite a verse
saying that acting sensibly and thoughtfully is symbolic of the smoke of
incense.

Incidentally, when I was practicing Korean Son we used to gather twice a day
and chant the long and poetic section on incense from the Platform Sutra of
the Sixth Patriarch. Because we chanted it in an English approximation of the
Korean pronunciation of the Chinese characters of the original text, it was
maybe four or five years before I discovered that we were chanting about
incense. This was all the proof I needed that sometimes it is best NOT to
understand what one is saying in a ritual.

> Also, I have found that burning incense (when combined with the right
>'t see any  mantras) has wonderful magical powers - it keeps away both demons
and
> agnostics.

Anything keeps away demons (since they don't exist), and nothing keeps away
agnostics (since they can be found wherever thinking people congregate). So
perhaps the only thing we can really say about the powers of incense and
mantras is "I don't know." Let's see, saying that would make us agnostics,
right?

> Unfortunately, Puritanism has been active in Asia almost as long as it
> has been active in the West.

Puritanism is meaningless outside the cultural context in which it evolved. So
I doubt very much that Puritanism has ever been active in Asia. (According to
Sydney Ahlstrom and various other experts in the history of Christianity, no
one used to call themselves Puritans. Like Hinayana and Quaker, Puritan was
first used as a term of abuse by people who did not approve of the people to
whom it was applied. Eventually, like Quaker and unlike Hinayana, the term
came to be used more positively, and an effort was made to find a meaning for
it. The two most common meanings assigned to the term were 1) people
preoccupied with purity of thought and practice -- you know, people who went
around saying "Do good, avoid harm and keep the mind pure; that is the
teaching of all buddhas"--; and 2) Christians who had purified their practice
of all vestiges of the papacy.

So I guess Buddhists have pretty much always been puritans in the first
generic sense of the word, but have never been Puritans in the specific
sectarian sense.)

--
Richard P. Hayes (the P stands for Pscientific)
Department of Philosophy