[Buddha-l] Re: The Dalai Lama on Self-Loathing

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Jul 6 14:52:17 MDT 2007

In light of Stuart Lachs’ comments:

I keep going back to Roland.  Once again, perhaps the only thing that
changes is the "space" in which self-loathing takes place:  for us
westerners, within each individual; for non-Westerners with a more
collective sense of self, within a larger social "space" where the
unacknowledged and rejected parts of self are projected onto an entire
social class.

Katherine Masis
================
Katherine's point strikes me as a useful generalization for cross-cultural
comparison. However, in other cultures, including "me" cultures, projection
of negative material onto to "Others" also takes place. Lachs is right to
say that we don't know much if anything about Tibetan psychodynamics. I
suspect that serfs in pre-China-invasion Tibet were considered analogously
to dalits in India! But this thread also raises the question of the genesis
of self-loathing, which I don't see as stemming from cultureal ideas, like
karma, say, only--but supported and maintained by such ideas. Child-rearing
practices, emotions, and ideas must have a lot to do with the genesis of
self-loathing wherever it is found.
Nobody has done any study of Tibetan child-rearing, AFAIK, (there have been
several done in India), so we don't have any data to go on.

Joanna