[Buddha-l] Memes amd me

Vera, Pedro L. pvera at health.usf.edu
Thu Jan 25 12:42:50 MST 2007

Richard Hayes wrote:

>... what I'm trying to ask is whether you think
>that "protestant Buddhism" is a name for something that does not exist (and
>is thus something like "compassionate conservative"), or whether you think
>that there is such a thing as what Gombrich and others have described as
>Protestant Buddhism, and you also think that that real thing is unworthy of
>admiration. Is it that you see Protestant Buddhism itself as pernicious, or
>the label "protestant buddhism"?

Following this line of questioning (and in the spirit of inclusiveness), is there such a thing as "catholic buddhism"? I always thought that tibetan buddhism, with all it's emphasis on ritual objects, deities, etc, was the most "catholic" of the buddhist strains. Whereas, Zen, with it's minimalist and iconoclastic approaches was the most "protestant", maybe even downright "congregational".

Regards,

Pedro