[Buddha-l] Buddhist pedagogy

Vera, Pedro L. pvera at health.usf.edu
Sat Jan 13 10:36:48 MST 2007

Stefan wrote:

>I can imagine. Thanks for your help. The question whether teaching the
>tilakkhana to young kids (as young novices, for example) is beneficial
>remains unanswered.  Is a young kid able to 'understand' the absence of a
>self, or 'all is characterized by suffering'? (I figure 'impermanence' is
>this easiest).

>In what way is this different form instilling particular beliefs (as is done
>in theistic traditions (Mary a virgin, Mohammed the last profet, pork is
>bad, resurrection, 'speak the truth and speak it ever, causeth what it
>will', etc.), which might remain unquestioned or even incomprehensible to
>kids?

Hi Stefan:

I had a Zen teacher who also conducted meditation classes for children. She thought children were particularly suited for just sitting and counting breaths. She saw no use whatsoever in filling up their minds with all kinds of concepts. Perhaps it was this particular "childish" aconceptual attitude that renders them better (more accepting, at least) at just sitting? Or maybe this is more of the Zen way.

There are also several Buddhist books based on Jataka tales and other stories that have more of a bedtime book  format. Perhaps you might find those useful.

As far as your question about children's ability to "understand" the three marks of existence you allude to, I do not know at what age they might be able to understand such concepts. However, there are plenty of grownups (probably me included) who are still having problems understanding such things. There is quite a bit of literature on development children's cognitive abilities (Piaget's work and others) and ability for ethical reasoning. However, in my own experience, children like rituals and perhaps understand better by doing (I think Joanna alluded to this earlier), so perhaps my Zen teacher was correct, and less "thinking" is better.

Regards,

Pedro