[Buddha-l] Query about Francisco Varela

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 12 07:49:33 MST 2007

Vera, Pedro L. schreef:

> Erik wrote:
>

>> Heidegger accuses science to
>>
> focus only on things that exist and forget aboute existence itself.
> Like Barnaby suggests, this is all water that has passed under the
> bridge long ago, but more recently philosophers like Bruno Latour have
> stressed that science is not delivering truth. It is nothing more than
> an industry that delivers explanational models and technology, but the
> model never coincides with the explaned.
>
> Dear Erik:
>
> As a scientist, I am very happy to focus only on things that exist. What would be the use of focusing on things that do not exist? As a matter of fact, it seems that is the provenance of philosophy, and frankly, not much has come out of those efforts, although there has been a lot of argument for roughly 2000 years.

Dear Pedro, I'm sorry if I've offended you by the mere word 'only'. Personally I don't go along with Heidegger all the way. I think we all owe science a lot. Science is very usefull and gives joy and comfort and releves a lot of suffering. But I'm one of those funny guys who don't want to do away with the useless (frankly that's the only reason why I'm still on this list ;-) ). And to me it's not so terrible that science never tells the truth, because  in fact (as Nietzsche once wrote and Nagarjuna agrees) the truth is quite useless.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950