[Buddha-l] Query about Francisco Varela

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Jan 11 12:55:12 MST 2007

Ok Erik, you wrote: "The book contains a very good paper by Natalie Depraz
called 'The Phenomenological Reduction as Praxis'."

Now *which* book are you referring to here?.........previously cited was a
pdf *article*, as I took it, not a book--or is this pdf coming from a book?
If
so, again, which book?
Geez people--please be more specific. Someone earlier referred to an essay
by Varela, that got published as a book, as first an essay and then later it
turns out as a book. That one got straightened out finally, but not this
item.
Thanks,
Joanna
===================================

> Are you sure?
>
> See:
> "Three Gestures of Becoming Aware" (p. 2 "The Second Approach:
> Phenomenology")
>
> http://www.dialogonleadership.org/Varela-2000.pdf
This is the text:
=====================
When it comes to the how-to aspect, there are two other traditions that
triangulate our book. The next one is the tradition in phenomenology,
which is independent from the introspective tradition. It is a tradition
that was put into practice especially starting with the founder of
phenomenology, Edmund Husserl. Husserl was a remarkable guy because he
actually did it. He was an uncanny and gifted individual. His
descriptions, his capacity to actually suspend his preconceptions and
examine the structuring, the layering, and the genesis of his own
experience was uncanny — he was like a *Mozart of experience*. He knew
how to do it, and he described it in many ways, but he was less
interested in giving full details about how to develop that skill as a
method that can be taught and practiced.

The result has been an interesting evolution within phenomenology, which
is to say, how do we actually take these insights that Husserl left us
and use them? Not just repeat what he said, which is what many
philosophers have done, but actually /redo/ it. The book contains a very
good paper by Natalie Depraz called “The Phenomenological Reduction as
Praxis/./” So the second approach revolves around the phenomenological
tradition.

Having read this brillant analysis I rest my case.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950