[Buddha-l] Query about Francisco Varela

Barnaby Thieme bathieme at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 10 15:52:51 MST 2007

Hi Dan

Varela definitely draws from old and venerable traditions, including
Buddhist philosophy as well as Bergson's phenomenology. But it should be
noted that Varela is not a philosopher, but a cognitive neurologist doing
serious work in the hard sciences. IMO it's extremely important that he
advocates  these views among hard scientists. And these efforts have paid
off, as you can see when you browse the "Mind Science" section of any Barnes
and Noble. You'll find Daniel Siegel, Francisco Varela, Csikszentmihalyi,
Damasio, McCrone, and a dozen other guys deeply influenced by systems theory
and/or Buddhist philosophy. The mainstream of cognitive science is shifting
away from computational reductionism and allowing for dynamical systems
views.

Varela grounds these ideas is a rigorous study of cognition and neurology.
It's one thing to say that the mind co-creates reality, but another thing
entirely to look closely at what actually happens in visual perception. This
is very important, in my view, because it keeps people from falling to a
form of subjective idealism, in which it is asserted that the mind is the
sole author of creation. Many people have tried to abuse the findings of
quantum mechanics and systems theory in this way, and it betrays a great
misunderstanding of what the theories say. We must know what these things
mean.

regards,
Barnaby

It's my manner. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really. - T. E.
Lawrence