[Buddha-l] Query about Francisco Varela

Barnaby Thieme bathieme at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 10 14:51:38 MST 2007

Hi Vaj

I apologize for the delay in responding to you - I sometimes check Buddha-L
infrequently.

It's hard to summarize Varela's position concisely, but a quck shorthand way
of describing his position would be to call him a constructivist. That is,
he argued that what we experience is a highly-ordered representation of
sense data that is determined and constrained significantly by cognitive
processing. The perceptual act is by no means a passive representation of of
a given world, but a highly-active process of construal that involves
perceptual and semantic parsing at every step.

A simple illustration of this fact of perception is to observe that for
every nerve travelling from the retina to the visual cortex, there are ten
travelling in the opposite direction. Within the supposedly-bare act of
visual processing at its very source, the mind is intensively active in
shaping and determining the structure of visual information based on
heuristics, prediction, and filling-in-the blanks. This is precisely why
although we all have 2 blind spots in our visual field, we are almost never
aware of them.

Visual objects must therefore be understood as artifacts of a cooperative
endeavor by the world and the subject to co-construct a non-arbitrary visual
space that does not ultimately correspond to a static external universe of
things in the way the naive realist would suppose.

Following the Buddhist principle of the Middle Way, the prudent cognitive
scientist is quick to point out that this does mean that we are free to
envision any desired reality we wish, not, as some charlatans would have us
believe. Varela would take issue with the old story about Chandrakirti
milking a painting of a cow.

Varela is far more knowledgeable and eloquent than I in expressing these
views, and I commend him to any interested party.

regards,
Barnaby Thieme

It's my manner. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really. - T. E.
Lawrence