[Buddha-l] languages

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sat Jan 6 19:48:38 MST 2007

About 20 years ago I worked in southern California. Several of us
often lunched at a Japanese sushi bar that was run by a Japanese
gentleman whose English was so poor we could hardly understand him,
though he seemed to understand us well enough. We were all fond of
soft-shelled crab when they were in season, and especially liked the
way he fixed them, so whenever he would get in a fresh bunch of them
(which was fairly rare) he would call us and we would all rush down
to his place for lunch. On one trip when we had a little extra time
to spend we each decided to have a second crab. The place was very
busy and he was occupied at the front bar, preparing sushi. So he
yelled out in what sounded to us like perfect Spanish that he needed
three more soft-shell crabs.  Soon a short Mexican man came out with
a platter of crabs.  We asked our host about his and he said that it
was important to his business that he not get to sounding too good at
English because his Japanese-ness was a necessary part of his
marketing. However, it was essential that his help understand exactly
what he meant.

Long before that I worked in a Porshe garage in Boulder where the
German mechanics and owner were careful to protect their German
accents for the same reason.

Perhaps this explains why I talk like an uneducated cowboy from the
mountains.

probably not.