[Buddha-l] Re: How to help the Dharma grow in the USA

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 3 20:26:04 MST 2007

Gang,

Richard, answering Pedro Vera's complex and crucial question, wrote

>> But I wonder if this ["unregulated industry" of Buddhism] is a Western
>> phenomenon, and perhaps in Asian countries with a long history of
>> Buddhism
>> and Buddhist teachers, there might be some sort of council that keeps
>> things in check.
>
> No doubt there are. Like all such councils they probably do at least
> as much
> to mute excellent teachers as they do to promote good ones. (Sounds a
> lot
> like a PhD examination committee, eh?) For my taste, what makes Western
> Buddhism so vital (for now at least) is the lack of councils that hand
> out
> imprimaturs and say "nihil obstat" to people who learn to mind their
> p's and
> q's.

Indeed, religious institutions need to promulgate and protect their
structures of authority, just as academic institutions do. The
imprimaturs they grant are not, fundamentally, measures of insight or
scholarship as much as they are measures of palatability to the
imprimatur-granting institutions. God knows Michel Foucault must have
written on this this specific topic, somewhere. If knowledge is power,
it certainly will tend to conserve itself through exercising that power
over its own students, turning them into its next generation of
guardians. Sure works that way the the University of Chicago.

My impression is that in the lineage of Maezumi Roshi, teachers can
avoid this committee hoop, but if they avoid it they cannot become
roshis, fully sanctioned teachers in the Soto hierarchy. Maezumi
Roshi's dharma heirs and grand-heirs make their own decisions about
whether to pursue Soto sanctioning; still they all must please the very
small council of the sanctioned teachers in the lineage.

In Asia, since there is more power to be had in Buddhism, there is more
conservativism in the promotion of its teachers. Further, in Buddhist
countries, Buddhism itself shapes the social mores. This tends to act
as an external check on the behavior of Buddhist teachers. They are
subjected to a general (and thoroughly appropriate) scrutiny based on
the culture's awareness of the Buddhist precepts and it's own
particular, partially Buddhist-derived, ethical standards. Since we in
the West lack this external-and-yet-still-Buddhist check, we had better
be even more vigilant regarding our teachers.

Caveat cultor!

Franz