[Buddha-l] Buddhism, the second largest religion in the world

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Feb 28 17:00:10 MST 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 14:29, Vicente Gonzalez wrote:

> ¿can somebody confirm these dates?
>
> http://vipassanafoundation.com/Buddhists.html

Which dates? The only dates I saw were the birthdates of people like Bhante
Gunatatana, Ven. Karunadharma and Thich Nhat Hanh, all of which agreed with
dates I've seen published for those same people elsewhere.

What troubled me was that I took the test to see whether I agree with the
teachings of Buddhism and somehow managed to flunk it. There were nine
questions, and one has to answer five of them affirmatively toqualify as a
bona fides Buddhist. I answered three only affirmatively, and either was
undecided or answered negatively on the other six. What a substandard test!
Was it devised by Benito, or what's the deal?

By the way, I think the estimates of the number of Buddhists in the world is
wildly exaggerated on that web site. Not only that, but their reasoning is
about the worst I have ever seen. About the only thing I can conclude from
this website is that Vipassana practice must lead to severe brain damage.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy