[Buddha-l] Intrisic Conviction

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Feb 28 10:45:30 MST 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 02:38, Chris Stanford, Ph.D. wrote:

> Today's 'Bangkok Post' (Pg.6) reports that "Children to be paid to enter
> temples." Details reveal that Thailand's Ministry of Social Development
> will pay primary school children 1,000 Thai Baht (~US$26.00). The cash will
> be given to youth who visit temples (or other places of spiritual practice)
> 20 times.

I wonder whether this would be an effective way to get students to attend
classes at American state universities. I also wonder what counts as
attendance. Surely more than physical presence should be required. Occasional
signs of being awake and paying some degree of attention to something besides
text messages from friends being held prisoner in other classrooms would be
nice. But I'm not sure there is enough money in the world to buy that!

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy