[Buddha-l] Yogi with a cell phone

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 11:24:55 MST 2007

How about some discussion on how we can make some (or any) sense of
all this. After all as Gregory Schopen writings (and also John
Marshall before him) have shown monks minting money near the
Dharmarajika Stupa (in Taxila) even before the Turks ravaged India,
and scholars like Tambiah and Seneviratne write that they are still at
it in various ways even today.

I recall reading sometime back a group of Sri Lanka lay Buddhists who
outright the monks and decide to practise on their own. In fact, I am
trying hard to do this.

For one thing, it is really great we have a forum where this can be
openly discussed, as these are realities we have to deal with somehow.

Piya Tan