[Buddha-l] the nestorian stele of chang'an

curt at cola.iges.org curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Dec 20 08:52:20 MST 2007

I think the relatively modern neologism "psychosis" is very different from the attic Greek "psykhosis".

My Greek is pretty minimal, but I think "psykhosis" means "that which animates, life force, animation". When combined with the prefix "metem-" I think it just means "the movement, or change, or progress of the life force". This is commonly expressed in the English phrase "transmigration of the soul".

On the other hand, I believe the modern "psychosis" comes from combining the Greek "psyche" (soul or mind) with the latin "-osis" which means "a disordered state".

Metempsychosis was well established in ancient "western" thought. It comes up often in Plato (Meno, Republic, and Phaedrus, especially), and also plays a prominent role in the Sixth Book of the Aeneid and in Cicero's famous "Dream of Scipio". The idea is often attributed to Pythagoras and/or Orpheus.

Curt Steinmetz