[Buddha-l] Buddhism in Singapore

The Minding Centre dharmafarer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 21:15:35 MST 2007

[...Continued, I hope this file is within size quota]

 From the official statistics:
While  both Buddhism and Taoism were the traditional Chinese religions of
long standing,
Buddhism had become much more widespread in the past two decades and had
surpassed
Taoism as the main religion of the Chinese. In 2000, 54 per cent of the
Chinese identified
themselves as Buddhists, up from 34 per cent in 1980 and 39 per cent in
1990 (Table 1).
Despite the growth of Buddhism, there was a distinct shift away from the
traditional Chinese
religions as a whole. The proportion of Chinese who practised either
Buddhism or Taoism had
declined from 73 per cent in 1980 to 68 per cent in 1990 and 64 per cent in
2000.
See: http://www.singstat.gov.sg/pubn/papers/people/religiousaff.html for stats.

We only have two openly Buddhist Members of Parliament, but the Buddhists
here are
about 50%, the biggest religious group statistically. Almost everyone here
in some way
celebrate Christmas as it has become a sort of secular holiday, but more
churches have
huddle together presenting more Christmas shows to remind the elegant
crowds of the
true Christmas spirit.

An affluent retiree (watery) Buddhist recently sent me Christmas greetings
which I promptly "returned"
saying thanks, but not thanks, perhaps only if the Christians wish each
other Happy Vesak in May.
Christianity is still strongly associated with the white man here. "The
Pinkerton Syndrome" (white is
better) is a Singapore invention: see Wikipedia.

To date, Singaporean Buddhists here go to Thai, Sinhalese, Myanmarese,
Taiwanese, Japanese,
and Tibetan temples. We do not have a Singaporean temple yet. However, one
is coming up end
of 2008, with which I will working closely. There is a growing awareness
that Buddhists are
(or should be) colour-blind.

i think "Christian Buddhism" is slowly becoming more relevant in Singapore.
("Christian Buddhism"
has of course been around since the time of Olcott and his likes). If this
is not politicized
(too much) then I think many will benefit, at least in reducing stress in
this stress capital of SE Asia,
whose gay population is growing, encouraged by a commensurate number
executive and dominating
single women and financial independence across gender.

Piya

The Minding Centre
Blk 644 Bukit Batok Central, #01-68 (2nd flr),
[near Bukit Batok MRT/Interchange] Singapore 650644.
HP: 8211 0879; Tel: 6569 5205

Dharmafarer (Sutta) website: http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com
Meditation courses & therapy:
<http://minding.centre.googlepages.com/>http://mindcentre.googlepages.com