[Buddha-l] Watery dharma

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Dec 18 14:52:46 MST 2007

On Tuesday 18 December 2007 14:24, curt at cola.iges.org wrote:

> If Richard or anyone else believes they
> have some evidence of genuine religious tolerance among Christians earlier
> than this - please don't keep you candle under a bushel.

Exactly when tolerance became part of European culture is impossible to
pinpoint. People were advocating it before the time of the American
revolution. The idea met by approval in some quarters and was resisted in
others. The Dutch and Poles and Transylvanians were usually pretty good at
practicing tolerance, as were some Americans, but in every place where
toleration too root, there was also some degree of backlash.

What difference does it make whether toleration has a long history in Europe?
What is more important is that it has taken root pretty firmly in many parts
of the world, although one can also find at least some xenophobia, hatred and
intolerance almost anywhere one travels. (Does anyone see signs of hope that
people of Korean ancestry born in Japan will be accepted as full Japanese
citizens, or that Indonesians and Southeast Asians will be allowed to
immigrate to Japan and become naturalized citizens?)

Within Christianity I see as positive signs that the Catholic church
completely renounced triumphalism in the 1960 and that embracing
multiculturalism and religious pluralism is now a part of the majority of
mainline Protestant denominations. I see as negative signs that mainline
Protestantism is rapidly losing ground and that the decisions of the Second
Vatican Council are in constant danger of erosion, especially under the
current pope and his predecessor.

What I see as the deeper issue is human xenophobia and exclusionism. It takes
many forms. In some places it has been expressed as religious intolerance. In
other places it has taken other forms. Nowhere is it necessary. Wherever fear
of others occurs, it can be countered. It is less likely to be countered if
one begins by rehearsing all the sins of the past and gets stuck there, as if
the patterns of history define the essence of people of the present.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy