[Buddha-l] Watery dharma and MERRY BUDDHIST CHRISTMAS?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Dec 17 21:05:48 MST 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 15:04 +0000, David Webster wrote:

> Question while here: is it ok to celebrate non-Buddhist festivals?

So long as they do not involved biting the heads off of chickens or
throwing virgins into volcanoes, there is no harm at all in celebrating
non-Buddhist festivals. (I am assuming your question is "Is it ok for a
Buddhist to celebrate non-Buddhist festivals.")

About twenty-five years ago I asked an American Zen teacher what he
thought about celebrating Christmas. He said he thought any Buddhist
would think that Jesus was a fine fellow whose birth was well worth
celebrating. There might be a little more difficulty involved in
celebrating Easter.

> And where
> might Buddhism stand on lying to children about the existence of Father
> Christmas/Santa

I hesitate to go near this one until I hear more about what you think
the truth is about Father Christmas. (Is there something you know that I
don't?)

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy