[Buddha-l] leaving home - culturally speaking

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Dec 11 19:38:58 MST 2007

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 19:27, Richard Hayes wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 December 2007 18:06, Piya Tan wrote:
> > Some years back (early 2000s), Paul Williams (family pressure?) announced
> > he has "reverted" to Roman Catholic. Wonder what is status is now?
>
> I wonder what difference it makes.

I should add that buddha-l was founded to provide a forum for the discussion
of Buddhism (and the moral and intellectual deficiencies of
neo-conservatives), not the private lives of scholars of Buddhism.

While discussing the personal beliefs of scholars of Buddhism is normally of
little value here, Williams is arguably someone whose beliefs are worthy of
discussing, since he has written a book and a couple of articles about why he
chose to return to Roman Catholicism and what he found deficient in Buddhism.
(It had nothing to do with family pressure; it had everything to do with his
feeling that Buddhism was lacking what he was seeking. In some respects his
views on the matter are not too different from those of Paul Griffith.)

If anyone has read Williams' book and actually knows what it says, it might be
worth discussing. Speculating about what he might have said would be less
interesting (though it is surely what many of the amateur psychologists on
buddha-l will be tempted to do).

I vote for leaving this particular dead horse unbeaten.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy