[Buddha-l] Loving your object of study

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Dec 2 10:52:45 MST 2007

"Then there is the case where a monk studies the Dhamma: dialogues,
narratives of mixed prose and verse, explanations, verses, spontaneous
exclamations, quotations, birth stories, amazing events, question &
answer sessions [the earliest classifications of the Buddha's
teachings]. He doesn't spend the day in Dhamma-study. He doesn't neglect
seclusion. He commits himself to internal tranquility of awareness. This
is called a monk who dwells in the Dhamma."

Note that the "monk who dwells in the Dharma" *does* study the Dharma
teachings - but he also "doesn't neglect seclusion" and he "commits
himself to internal tranquility of awareness."

All of the "bad monks" were characterized by their neglect of seculsion
and their failure to commit to "internal tranquility of awareness" -
while simultaneously (and erroneously) focussing *only* on study,
descriptions, recitation, or thinking.

Curt