[Buddha-l] samkhya, vedanta and buddhism

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Tue Aug 28 00:57:20 MDT 2007

F. K. Lehman  wrote:

>And Budhist monks from one sect studied in
>schools of other sects and, no doubt, heard Jains and Hindu Vedantist
>and so on.

Yes, I even wonder if they thought in terms of schools at all. I don't know whether the phrasing of the suttas is something to follow in that aspect, but people coming to see the Buddha don't ask after the teachings of his school, they don't seem to be bothered by the notion of a school or even a transmission. They are looking for the (path to the) absolute and for people reputed to having found it, like the two brahmins in the Tevijja sutta. I may be idealising things, but I have the impression they looked directly at what was being said rather than at whom it was said by. If something was well said in their eyes, they would adopt, adapt and improve it. I recently read a small (tibetan) text by Avadhutipa (Advayavajra) almost litterally "stolen" from the Mahabharata, only the title was Buddhist. No mention of any source. And perhaps there was no need, because many of those having studied the Mahabharata must have recognised it anyway. But that doesn't seem to be a problem. !
 When reading the stories about Indian Buddhist siddhas and panditas, there are so many what *we* would call "transfugees". Coming from one religion, moving on to another, perhaps going back again. The problem with paths is that they give you the idea of following a path and being led somewhere. But as Antonio Machado said : "Caminante no hay Camino, se hace Camino al andar" (Traveler, there is no path.The path is made by walking).

Of course there also have always been the "loyalists", the most universal religion in the world. They practice loyalty, no matter the religion.

Joy