[Buddha-l] Re: Query on Non-Local Consciousness

Bernie Simon bsimon at toad.net
Fri Aug 24 17:21:57 MDT 2007

On Aug 24, 2007, at 11:16 AM,  Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Skt: aamam na aadharati.
> I haven't looked at the Tibetan, but the Sanskrit is unclear. aama can
> mean,
> as you say, raw food. Or undigested food (that is one of its
> meanings)... it
> can mean unripe, uncooked, and, according to Monier-Williams:
> "constipation,
> passing hard and unhealthy excretions."

I'm no Sanskrit scholar, but Ama plays an important role in Ayurveda.
It's caused by inproperly digested food, but it's a sort of gunk that
clogs up the body and is responsible for chronic disease. A lot of
Ayurveda is concerned with discharging Ama through purging, enemas,
tongue scraping, and other means. There's more on Ama here:

http://ayurveda-foryou.com/ayurveda_principles/ama.html

and you can find more by searching for "ayurveda ama".

----
Bernie Simon