[Buddha-l] Query on Non-Local Consciousness

Vera, Pedro L. pvera at health.usf.edu
Fri Aug 24 10:57:28 MDT 2007

Richard wrote:

"Unable to imagine any plausible alternative to complete oblivion (which
I assume happens gradually as one neuron after another dies within a few
hours or days after oxygenated blood stops making its rounds through the
body), I have taken to looking for positive ways of viewing oblivion."

Hi Richard:

Just a small point concerning the time scale involved. Neurons start dying within minutes of profound hypoxia and plenty of experimental and clinical evidence shows permanent damage if the blood flow (or oxygen) is not restarted within a few minutes. Certainly, not hours or days. Therefore, I think you will not have to wait long to find out what the experience of  complete oblivion or total loss of consciousness feels like. At any rate, I would predict the change in consciousness to be precipitous (as your brain shuts down and starts dying) not a gradual loss.

If you are right (and I think you are), you'll be dead and not be able to enjoy the unconsciousness/oblivion/nirvana or whatever, and worst of all you won't know that you were right (will it matter to you at that point? or does it even make sense to refer to you as "you" since you ain't no more??). If you are wrong, you spend the rest of eternity regretting your error (if the Abrahamic religions are right) or at least a few cycles of samsara trying to adopt right views (if the buddhists got it right).

Best regards,

Pedro