[Buddha-l] Query on Non-Local Consciousness

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 23 17:51:43 MDT 2007

Colleagues,

I've been thinking seriously about the dissolution of consciousness at
the death of the brain. Bad Buddhist that I am, the prospect fails to
cheer me. So I've taken to wondering what the Buddhist tradition might
have to say about the notion of non-local consciousness. (Buddhism
lacking an atta or jiva, non-local consciousness seems the only way
around the end of consciousness once that consciousness's body dies.)
The Chan/Zen tradition just doesn't go for it. Certainly the Tibetan
tradition speaks of "mind" as pervasive, but such notions have always
seemed fuzzy and faintly unsavory to me.

I'm also curious as to the current status of the idea of continuing
consciousness after brain death in neuropsychology. (And by that I do
NOT mean that neuropsychology is now brain dead; I'm just too lazy to
move my dangling preposition.)

Curiously,

Franz