[Buddha-l] An arresting story about Myanmar

Bruce G. Seidner, Ph.D. bseidner at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 22 19:14:03 MDT 2007

Oh-My-God, Richard,

Do not go gentle into that good night...

We had a field day for the head yesterday, a day called "Life of Mind" to introduce entering freshman at the University of Tennessee to the academy. Whatever thousand of them were split up into x sections led by volunteer faculty.

They were required to read Norman Cantor's In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made. It was our one shot at introducing the radical idea that this was not a trade school or a mating service. It is a UNIVERSITY.

I only teach doctoral candidates and walking into a big classroom with undifferentiated squamous cell entering freshman was like walking into the bar in Star Wars. They are of every size and description, from the ten directions and the three times.

Not a smelly foot or a Britney Spears ring tone phone among them. I was likely the only one in the room dedicating the merit, but they lit up as I explained and encouraged views and truths to emerge.

Hang in old man, you are an exasperation, I mean, inspiration.

Bruce not that far behind you Seidner