[Buddha-l] An arresting story about Myanmar

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Aug 22 17:18:10 MDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 18:14 -0400, Chan Fu wrote:

> Will it baffle you when state-supported religion becomes de-rigeur
> here?

Actually, it would take me very much by surprise. I think there would be
assassinations and revolutions before the separation of church and state
were obliterated. It would be easier to outlaw guns than to overthrow
the first amendment.

> Look at
> Sri Lanka or Thailand. Buddhism in Asia has become indistinguishable
> from christian or islamic purity and prudity.

I keep telling my students (who are usually uncritically enamored of
Buddhism) that Buddhism is quite a bit more in sympathy with Southern
Baptism than with the creaky-jointed joint-smokers who have embraced
Buddhism during the past few decades.

> Our universities are folding like dominoes in their eagerness to appear
> "non-sectarian". Of course you know that the islamic "foot-bath"
> thing was to keep those feet from stinking up another muslim nose
> during prayers.

I like the idea of foot baths. I think they should be required of all
students. But then I think all students should remove their shoes before
entering the classroom. And I think they should be quietly meditating
before class instead of chatting and sending text messages on their
goddamn cell phones. Thank God, I retire soon.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy