[Buddha-l] An arresting story about Myanmar

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Aug 22 10:31:42 MDT 2007

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/08/22/myanmar-arrests.html

The cited story mentions Myanmar's universities. There was a time when the
only universities allowed to operate in Myanmar were Buddhist institutions.
The relationship between the bhikkhu-sangha and the military government in
Myanmar has baffled me for years. Idealistic Western secular humanist
ex-hippy small-c communist that I am, I always assume that Buddhists will
automatically be anti-establishment and especially anti-military. Reality,
therefore, nearly always comes as a bit of a shock to me. But I continue to
ignore it. Reality, I think, is quite overrated.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy