[Buddha-l] Vipassana Centers and Psychological Reductionism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Aug 14 22:25:08 MDT 2007

All that said, I have to admit that a quick look around the IMS and SR
websites reveals to me that they have changed a great deal in the last few
years. I recall that the SR website didn't even *mention* Buddhism on its
splash screen or first page. Now Buddhism is prominent and unmistakable.
Where a few years ago almost every single SR teacher was a licensed
psychologist, now a good percentage are not and there are several actual
Theravada monks on the council. It may be that these centers are moving
closer to the historical mainstream of the Buddhist tradition as they
mature.

Good thoughts,

Franz
===========
Yes, and not only all of the above--but IMS has always had visiting monks of
varous Buddhist traditions involved in its programs (well, at least since I
first encountered IMS back in the 70s) plus next door to IMS as it were is
the Barrie Center for Buddhist Studies, for people more scholarly inclined.
By encontered I don't mewna to say I ever went there. Oddly, although I was
working not far from Barre, Mass. In southern Vermont, and got their
newsletter and sent them dana when I could, somehow I never made it to an
IMS program--partly because the accommodations struck me as not comfortable
enough for a persn with my physical problems. Around the time that I retired
and moved to the far west, they embarked on upgrading their facilities.
These days I keep in mind the idea of doing a retreat some day at Spirit
Rock, located in Marin County Calif. where I lived for some time in my
teens.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:15 AM