[Buddha-l] Re: Theories of the self

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Aug 6 10:08:50 MDT 2007

On Sunday 05 August 2007 20:47, Katherine Masis wrote:

> Socrates initiates a
> tradition of introspection in that "knowing himself"
> is having a relationship with himself:  the subject
> has a relationship with the internal "object," to use
> psychoanalytic jargon.

Something I learned from one of my philosophy professors many years ago is
that knowing oneself for Socrates meant knowing where one stands with
relation to the good. In the often-(mis)quoted Socratic claim that the
unexamined life is not worth living, the context makes it quite clear that
Socrates is telling his friends that any day that is not devoted to examining
whether one's life is lived well---that is, in accordance with the good
(which for Socrates seems to have been something objective and not
subjective)---is a day wasted.

The issue of whether Socrates was using "know thyself" in a novel way is not
really a topic for buddha-l, but whether Socrates was saying something that
woud make the Buddha smile with approval is something we might explore. I
have always been struck at how Socratic the Buddha was, and at how Buddhistic
Socrates was.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy