[Buddha-l] Theories of the self

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 4 20:54:15 MDT 2007

Curt wrote:

"I think it is worth emphasizing that in addition to
modern 'psychological' theories, there is a much
older, more deeply embedded conception of self in the
western psyche. It is the 'self' of the Delphic maxim
'gnothi seauton', which was adopted by Socrates and
became central to all of Greek philosophy as we know
it."

Socrates may have adopted the maxim, but he also
changed it.  The Delphic maxim "gnothi seauton" (know
thyself) was more or less telling oracle-seekers to be
sure of exactly what they wanted to ask; i.e., to
examine themselves carefully so they wouldn’t ask too
many questions of the oracle.  For Socrates, "know
thyself" didn’t imply a relationship between humans
and gods, but a relationship with himself.  In this
sense, he was breaking with the past.  And yes, we
could say that with Socrates the notion of "self"
gained a perceived essence and solidity it perhaps
hadn’t had before, or at least a perceived essence and
solidity that hadn’t been articulated before.

Katherine Masis