[Buddha-l] Permit required for reincarnation

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Aug 3 11:47:42 MDT 2007

On Friday 03 August 2007 09:42, Steven Rhodes wrote:

> I believe that HHDL has already said that he will not reincarnate in
> Tibet.

I heard HHDL say in Montreal that he might not come back at all. He said he
thought the institution of reincarnate lamas had about run its course.

Maybe he'll do what Bertrand Russell did. Russell, it is well known, spent
his life ridiculing belief in an afterlife. About a year after he died, a
spiritual medium announced to the world that Russell had a message to
deliver the world through her. The message was "I was wrong."

I'm quite confident that if HHDL announced unambiguously that he was never
coming back, the Chinese would nevertheless find his reincarnation, and his
first public announcement would be "I changed my mind."

--
Richard
===============
Good grief--let's hope that it's not the Chinese that find his reincarnation
in the first place.
Maybe the lama search committee will ignore what the DL says about not
reincarnating.
They could say, "The oracle told us that he changed his mind," as they get
busy finding the new one.
Buddhisticallly speaking, HHDL is inspiring in his attempt to declare this
custom dead, it being a political invention in the first place, but also, in
order for the exile-Tibetans to have a political center and spokesperson
with international clout, finding a new one seems to be a necessity.
However, some exiled Tibetans--the ones that think the DL should invade
China or do something more aggressive about the Chinese takeover (false
hope),  might not agree with this idea at all.
Joanna

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2:22 PM