[Buddha-l] FW: Three year Research Associate, UK, Indian & Buddhist theories of self

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Aug 2 15:23:41 MDT 2007

On Thursday 02 August 2007 14:47, jkirk wrote:

> Aso signifies "and so on"...

Aso desu ka? I usually spell that "etc" when I use it at all. We all have
ferocious high school teachers in our pasts, petty-minded insecure martinets
who foisted taboos off onto us that we spend our entire lives trying not to
break. One of my high school English teachers insisted that using the
expressions "et cetera" and "and so on" is a form of mental laziness that
should, like the passive voice and unnecessary commas, be avoided at all
costs by careful industrious responsible citizens. Although I disagree with
him on this point, the taboo is still with me. It makes me want to kill him
and so on, but the bastard died before I had the opportunity, so now I just
curse him under my breath etc.