[Buddha-l] Pure Conversation vs koan

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Aug 1 12:30:45 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 01 August 2007 12:26, Stephen Hodge wrote:

> Or as Fritz Staal put it, "What kare us logickers for grammer ?"

I'm not sure what your point is, Stephen, but the quip attirbuted to Staal
reminds me of a piece of advice my Sanskrit grammar professor gave us
(several times): "When among logicians, say you are a grammarian. When among
grammarians, say you are a logician. When among both logicians and
grammarians, say you are neither. When among folk who are neither logicians
nor grammarians, say you are both."

That advice has served me well over the years and has got me out of many a
ticklish pickle.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy