[Buddha-l] Pure Conversation vs koan

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Aug 1 10:57:11 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 08:57, curt wrote:
> Wong Weng Fai wrote:
> > Yup. "Qing" is the character for "pure" and "tan" is the character for
> > "conversation". I believe it is suppose to mean "a conversation pure
> > of worldly concerns." The world, dust etc. being characterized as
> > pollutants.
>
> Nice! That makes it sound even more "zenny". That wasn't what I was
> expecting "pure" to mean!

It sounds "zenny" only because it sounds so traditionally Buddhist. I can
easily imagine almost any Buddhist of any tradition interpreting "pure" in
that way. Just out of curiosity, Curt, what did you expect "pure" to mean?
(Or did you simply have no expectations at all, as would be true of, say, an
agnostic?)

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy