[Buddha-l] Granting Mercies (was: Natural Evil)

SJZiobro at cs.com SJZiobro at cs.com
Mon Apr 30 18:12:42 MDT 2007

Shiangtai Tuan <shiangtai at alumni.duke.edu> wrote:

>At 08:05 AM 4/30/2007, SJZiobro at cs.com wrote:
>>The question is whether the Pope will grant ...
>
>Hi,
>         This line reminded me of the recent mercy granted by the
>Pope -- the millions of souls in limbo are now sent to heaven.

Shiangtai,

I believe your question overlooks the real distinction between an ecclesial discipline and a doctrine.  The indult, if granted, would allow any priest anywhere in the world to celebrate the Mass in accord with the Tridentine Rite (ritual).  I don't see the connection with the International Theological Commission's inquiry into the doctrine of Limbo.  Could readily argue that ritual and doctrine overlap in important ways, for instance, as they do in the Goma ritual practiced in Shingon Buddhism, or as an expression of the dogma of the Trinity in the Latin Catholic liturgical tradition.  But here, the granting of the indult has nothing to do with the present questions relative to the doctrine of Limbo (which by the way remains a valid theologuenon -- theological opinion -- to this day).

Regards,

Stan Ziobro