[Buddha-l] Is this guy an, er, budding bodhisattva of IT?

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Thu Apr 26 11:04:38 MDT 2007

James A. Stroble wrote:

> Did we not have a discussion about the need for a Buddhist Linux Distro or at
> least a theme for Ubuntu a while ago?   (Unlike the recent theodic
> (theodical? ) postings I am really trying to make this relevant to the
> academic study of Buddhism, really.)

Dalai Lama announces Yellow Hat Linux:
<http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/23/213251>
<http://www.stallman.org/articles/yellow-hat.html>

More seriously, in 2005~6 I was a member of a project here in Bhutan
which produced a fully localized version of Linux and many applications
in Dzongkha (the national language of Bhutan written in Tibetan script).
"Dzongkha Linux" is based on the Debian  distribution - It is being
maintained and now includes many more fully localized applications.

Much of the work of that project is now also included in other
distributions including Debian.

The logo for Dzongkha Linux is a meditating Tux - the Linux Penguin.
<http://www.btinternet.com/~c.fynn/misc/Dz-Tux.png>

<http://www.perrier.eu.org/weblog/2006/06/02>
<http://lwn.net/Articles/191950/>

- Chris