[Buddha-l] A candid question

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 13 19:56:04 MDT 2007

Gang,

I think that Joanna is right, the legends show Siddhartha following an
established yogic path of austerity until his crucial insight that
there must be a better way. So he was not fasting unto death. But I
want to add that, in my view, Joy is also right on the whole: the
Buddha's new teachings revealed him to be too iconoclastic to fit into
any existing school. He had to be deemed founder of a new school. This
then meant his school had to do several things to survive. Central
among those was attracting patronage despite failing to provide
wonder-working charismatic teachers (like various ascetics) and failing
to provide deliciously self-mortifying samanas (again, like many
ascetic schools, particularly the Jains--perhaps the sangha's greatest
early competition).

Joy writes, "If the Buddha weren't a man but a movement, I would say
that an important motivation of that movement was to give access to
more inspiring paths of liberation to all varnas, but particularly
Kshatriyas, and at earlier stages of life." I agree entirely with the
latter half of the statement, but I'd add that "the Buddha," as we know
him, *was* a movement. Yes, there probably was one single person who
did some parts of what we attribute to "the Buddha," but what matters
now, what we all look back to, what we discuss, what we draw on, what
we even revere, is a movement. As you so delightfully say, a "soft
reformist movement within Brahmanism."

If you can find them, Joy, you might want to take a look at Winston
King's _The Buddhist Transformation of Yoga_ for discussion of
meditative techniques. And G.S.P. Misra's _The Age of Vinaya_ for a
sense of the proliferation of schools in competition at the time of the
Buddha. These books are both decades old; no doubt there are more
recent works on the topic; I'd love to hear about them.

Franz