[Buddha-l] Fighting creationism

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Wed Apr 4 18:06:34 MDT 2007

Stan Z wrote:

Despite your absolving proviso, I always find it difficult to reconcile
this:

> One consequence we can draw from this
> is that there is no being, act, process, change, etc. separate from God's
> power at any time.

with this:

> the freely knowing and willing human being.

If human beings are created by this God, who is by definition omnipotent
(with certain specific imitations) and presumably omniscient, how can this
free-knowledge and free-will be anything more than illusory ?  From our
perspective, we may seem to have these capacities, but from the deity's
point of view the outcome of any choice based on this supposed free-will was
already known, and hence pre-determined, at the initial instant of
creation -- which I suppose is the understanding which gave rise to the
Calvinist doctrine of predestination.  Have I missed something ?

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge