[Buddha-l] Fighting creationism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Apr 3 16:56:23 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 16:25, SJZiobro at cs.com wrote:

> Surely all three posibiities are reasonable and one can educe arguments to
> show why they are so.  Apparently, this thread was a joke, however, so
> perhaps it's wise to leave it alone and leave people smiling.

All three possibilities are reasonable in the sense that they are not
self-contradictory. My point is was that no one of them in more reasonable
than the others. It is not obvious to me that one can adduce
non-question-begging arguments for any of them. The best one can do is to lay
out the possibilities. In choosing one of them in preference to the others
one leaves reason behind and enters the realm of dogmatism.

As for jokes, this thread at a whole is not a joke. The joke, I think, was
Erik's quip about holding God responsible for AIDS.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy