[Buddha-l] Fighting creationism

SJZiobro at cs.com SJZiobro at cs.com
Mon Apr 2 22:37:00 MDT 2007

In a message dated 4/2/2007 11:49:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rhayes at unm.edu
writes:
> I can just barely follow what you are saying here. No, I exaggerate. I
> cannot
> follow what you are saying here. Could you try rephrasing what you are
> saying
> and show how it ties in to your earlier claim that (if I understood you
> correctly) AIDS has a purpose?

I'll rephrase, Richard.  My point about AIDS was a sort of counter remark to
Erik's imputation of its evil to the Good.  In Erik's rhetoric God created
AIDS and is morally responsible for the harm it causes.  Where Erik is correct is
to point out that, should one accept that God is the transcendent Cause of
all that is and nothing exists without that Cause exercizing its power, one must
also affirm that God is in some manner operative in all that happens.  Where
Erik is mistaken is to attribute a moral evil to that Cause.  There is nothing
inherently morally evil in the fact that the HIV virus exists and that it was
originally and naturally confined to some species of non-human animals, or
even that it jumped species.  The only way it was able to span that divide was
through some sort of contact.  Whatever the contact, once the virus jumped
species and entered the human sphere it was naturally propagated through different
kinds of contact.  Once the origin and result were understood its continued
spread became a humanly moral issue, because humans propagate it among their
own.  So the moral evil is ours, not God's.  You are absolutely right to point
out that the HIV/AIDS virus has no purpose, and I thought my earlier remarks
were in agreement therewith.  But the virus can be purposely propagated by some
human beings, for whatever reason.  So it is proper to say that a human being
has a purpose for propagating it.  It does not seem in my understanding
difficult to hold this view.  The real question, it seems, is whether one intends
and wills something evil precisely because it is evil, or whether there is some
good that is sought to which the evil is somehow allied.

Stan