[Buddha-l] Fighting creationism

Gad Horowitz horowitz at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Apr 2 12:07:49 MDT 2007

What "is" "TIME"?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Hoogcarspel" <jehms at xs4all.nl>
To: "Buddhist discussion forum" <buddha-l at mailman.swcp.com>
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 12:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Buddha-l] Fighting creationism

> Timothy Smith schreef:
> > I'm more concerned about Stan's notion that the moral sphere is
> > outside the sphere of ideas!?
> > News to me.  "Being", said Parmenides, "Is".  The leap from Being to
> > God, it seems to me,
> > is less of a moral leap than an ideation.  Creationism is just
> > downright unnecessary.
> >
> You could as well argue that it's simply wrong because biology is not a
polyparadigmatic science like psychology, where you can talk about the mind
in both Freudian or Skinnerian terms. The Neodarwinist theory is the best
we've got, so it's the only possible one.
> The leap from being to God is shear nonsense, because anything God does
needs time, even He cannot create time.  If we come to the limits of a model
it doesn't mean we are at liberty to fill in just any other which has the
same limits.
> Besides, I dont't see what morals have to do with it, morals is about
responsablility and religion takes that away. So when God talks, ethics fall
silent.