[Buddha-l] Buddhism and psychoactive substances

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Sep 30 14:01:41 MDT 2006

Barnaby Thieme wrote:
> Dear Buddha-L people,
>

> Does anyone have any knowledge of a Buddhist lineage that advocates
> the use of psychoactive substances? Or can anyone refer me to a study
> of this question? I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that some
> Ngakpas somewhere had something that they liked to smoke.

(1) I've been told that Han Shan says something about "mushrooms" in his
poetry.
(2) The book "Zig Zag Zen" is specifically devoted to this topic.
(3)  The book "DMT: The Spirit Molecule" was written by a Rick Strassman
- who is both a research neuroscientist and a practitioner of Zen.
(4) I've been told that lots of westerners who practice Buddhism have
experimented with hallucinogens - and that many, perhaps most, of them
credit these experiments with being helpful, in some way, to their
practice. I wouldn't know about anything like that myself personally,
though.

- Curt