[Buddha-l] swearing

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 03:22:18 MDT 2006

2006/9/30, Piya Tan <dharmafarer at gmail.com>:

> Yawning is not always bad: it simply reflects the listener's mental state
> (needs sleep to later awaken).
>
> I suppose I must agree with you that violent words more easily touch
> violent minds.
>
> Excuse me, I think I hear Osama calling...

That's not the point I'm making. I'm saying that in some instances 'apiyaa'
words spoken by wise people will have more effect than formulating a thought
in such a way that no one might be affected emotionally. And it's this being
emotionally affected that will lead to insight. In Zen monasteries master
slap their students with a stick to 'awaken' them - not really sammaa
sankappo (more specifically, not to harm; sammaa kammanto doesn't mention
physical action), if you ask me, but it /has/ led some students to more
discipline.

It's not an either/or situation. It's a when-situation. If you think you
can, for instance, save someone's life when that person has to make an
instantaneous and radical decision by  you using kind words instead of using
certain idioms or expletives, than I guess your patience lasts longer than a
dangerous situation will be manisfest.

Back to Dhamma, I think some occasions require 'akaarunika' (unkind)
expressions. They are not a goal, but a means to achieve an end.

Stefan