[Buddha-l] Buddhism and psychoactive substances

Barnaby Thieme bathieme at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 29 23:13:17 MDT 2006

Dear Buddha-L people,

In the 15 years that I've been studying Buddhism and Buddhist cultures, I
don't recall ever seeing a reference to any Buddhists advocating use of
psychoactive studies as part of their practice. I could see why this might
be, given the injunctions against consuming intoxicants. But I still find it
a bit surprising, given the interest of many Buddhist cultures in lucid
dreaming, chod, deities, ghosts, prophecies, astrology, et cetera. I'd think
somebody somewhere would be taking something, in the lines of the use of
ayahuasca by some South American religious cultures, for example.

Does anyone have any knowledge of a Buddhist lineage that advocates the use
of psychoactive substances? Or can anyone refer me to a study of this
question? I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that some Ngakpas somewhere
had something that they liked to smoke.

If this topic has come up previously, my apologies. Alas, the archives are
not searchable.

regards,
Barnaby Thieme

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with
stupidity, and make it work for you.
- Frank Zappa