[Buddha-l] swearing

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 03:04:38 MDT 2006

2006/9/29, Piya Tan <dharmafarer at gmail.com>:

> 'Dho!
>
> Sorry to be a wet blanket: but guys what about right speech? or more
> specifically piya,vaacaa.
>
> Piya

Piyaa vaacaa will leave us humorless and, for some students of the Dhamma,
in a slow progress, whereas an expletive or language that reinforces the
importance of a certain insight can help them advance more quickly.

Check out the difference in impact between the following sentences:

- 'You should control your mind, because your emotional state leads you to
suffering.'

(yawn...)

and

- 'Will you for the Buddha's sake stop this annoying worrying and freakin'
DO something with your life!'

('Holy Moly! My teacher's right!')

I can imagine that in the second instance for some people a shock-and-awe
tactic (good ol' versatile skillful means) will produce better results than
EVER avoiding harsh speech or any of that sort. Sometimes acting hard core
is better that softvoiced sweet words, is my guess. Harsh speech can be put
to use as good diplomacy in the right mouths.

Stefan