[Buddha-l] Swearing

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 05:57:17 MDT 2006

A Buddhist expletive? I think mantras come close to it. They're microworlds
of emotional release and give a transient substance to suffering with its
myriad of manifestations.
Maybe 'Buddhadamna' is a good starter. Or maybe 'Fuhkha' for the more
'advanced' swearers. Or a penultimate 'Anatya-mama!'

Stefan

2006/9/28, Mike Austin <mike at lamrim.org.uk>:

> In message
> <D2C0A16D198D634C8F90C8AC1DA3226FCEEEEE at MBX02.stf.nus.edu.sg>, John
> Whalen-Bridge <ellwbj at nus.edu.sg> writes
> >Some of us have been attempting to think up ways to swear that are
> >compassionate.  Isn't this beside the point?
>
> Not for me. The point I was interested in when I started this thread was
> the causes for swearing - i.e. the emotions and intentions behind it. In
> this context, looking at already 'established' expletives, one can maybe
> see symptoms of what is underneath. I guess a part of this process would
> be hypothesising a suitable expletive for a Buddhist, should he/she lose
> their cool. Of course, apart from this sort of musing, it provides ample
> scope for amusing.
>
> --
> Metta
> Mike Austin