[Buddha-l] Re: Swearing

Michael J. Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 04:42:26 MDT 2006

Life in the world is replete with swearing.  Makes me pine for solitude.  I worked with French Canadian and Metis-Mohawk steelworkers and rodmen for two years and every second word was either "tabarnak" (from the high altar of Catholic mass) or  another equally as sacred or egregrious as the case may be.  Took me a while to see the high art and poetry in it.  At the time I was also studying with Tibetan monks, a French Canadian who was devoted to the Cathars, and was eating a diet out of the Hare Krishna cookbook taught by a naturopath from India.  No wonder a happy virgin like me at that time couldn't ultmately bridge the cultures.